avatar headshot sketches uwu
aang, katara, sokka
toph, screaming zuko, azula
mai, ty lee, jet
suki, yue, uncle iroh
okay i kinda went into this before and this is probably the last time im gonna talk seriously about frozen on this blog (just tired of it by now really)
first and foremost, the thing people keep skirting around to squabble over animation errors and other pointless junk: FROZEN IS RACIST. racist as SHIT and if you disagree then you’re probably a willfully ignorant raging disney fan and also undeniably racist. sorry hard facts to face but it’s more than likely true.
- they used Sami people as an “inspiration” without paying any respect to Sami culture. they ABSOLUTELY appropriated an indigenous culture, and what’s worse, they tore it apart, discarded most of it and whitewashed it to the point that HARDLY ANYONE CAN TELL SAMI CULTURE WAS EVER EVEN INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS. WOW WHITE PEOPLE ARE SO GOOD AT THAT. BUT IT DOESNT MATTER CAUSE IT WAS PRETTY RIGHT??? THEY WORKED SO HAAAARD WHO CARES IF THEY’RE RACIST.
- that chilling, moving chanting in the beginning of the movie that so many people love? that’s a Sami yoik, a traditional Sami song.
- how about that goofy reindeer? reindeer husbandry is a HUGE aspect of Sami culture (and many indigenous cultures since ancient times- reindeer are thought to be the first domesticated animal) like i know you see it as just an animal BUT IT’S NOT JUST AN ANIMAL TO SAMI PEOPLE. if you even casually research Sami culture you would know this, and obviously Disney researched this enough to know about yoik songs and reindeer herding.
- SAMI PEOPLE WERE FORCED TO ASSIMILATE and colonized by white people (sound familiar), and one of the main reasons their culture and language survived was because of areas they continued to herd reindeer.
- "Today, in Norway and Sweden, reindeer husbandry is legally protected as an exclusive Sami livelihood, such that only persons of Sami descent with a linkage to a reindeer herding family can own, and hence make a living off, reindeer." REINDEER ARE SO FUCKING IMPORTANT TO THEIR CULTURE IT’S A LEGALLY PROTECTED RIGHT NOW. kind of gross to use a reindeer in such a slapstick manner, especially when Sami culture has pretty much been drained out of the movie, isn’t it? not to mention all the obvious errors in research, as in, reindeer have no problems on ice, you can’t ride a reindeer like a horse, etc etc…. but that’s besides the point.
- SAMI WERE PREDOMINANTLY POC. it’s kind of like american indians these days- yes, some of us are still brown, but MANY of us are white-passing. THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU’RE COLONIZED, TURNED INTO SEXUAL SLAVES AND FORCED TO ASSIMILATE. people like to pull up pictures of modern Sami and scoff at this debate like they even know what they’re talking about- no, you shitwads. you sad, sad little fucks. fantasy, fiction, magical, whatever- if it’s set in a historical timeframe, it should pay respect to historical facts.
- KRISTOFF SHOULD HAVE BEEN A MOC. it’s not surprising he was whitewashed- if they had modeled him accurately IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST INTERRACIAL COUPLE IN A DISNEY MOVIE FEATURING A WHITE WOMAN + MOC. huh, there’s plenty of disney white man + woc couples. wonder why that is??
"but ooorreeeee!! i can’t face my blatant acceptance of racism, cultural appropriation of indigenous cultures doesn’t mean jack to me… what was wrong with the STORY? it had so much heart, it was a perfect movie!!!…"
WELL OK THEN HOTSHOT LETS JUST DIVE IN TO ALL THE OTHER REASONS FROZEN WAS AWFUL.
- Anna is the most boring character i’ve EVER seen disney pull out of their ass. she’s basically an even more dense and bland version of Rapunzel, not just in looks! but in naive, “omg so awk” personality, and even more useless to boot. (at least Rapunzel had some character development and mad hair lassoing skills.)
- Kristoff is a total shitwad meathead, whose charming introduction was getting into Anna’s personal space and intimidating her out of his way. wow, such a stud. blossoming romance there. total feminist movie when the hero/love interest belittles the heroine/main character every chance he gets.
- Hans was a terrible villain. the whole “keep him the nicest guy ever so people flip out when he’s a total asshole” thing is soooo lazy and honestly doesn’t even make sense. the first scene we see him in, Anna runs off and he gets dropped into the water- he surfaces, all alone, and instead of being pissed off or at least annoyed that he got soaked (pretty standard reaction for anybody) he smiles dreamily like its nbd, like he’s just the sweetest thing that ever lived. at nobody. no one around to impress. that scene should have just been cut, tbh, because it’s too unrealistic and contrived to have moments like that and then whip around and say “ah-ha!! he’s been planning it all along!”
- Anna and Hans was actually PROBABLY one of the most believable disney romances i’ve ever seen. they connected, they hit it off, the sense of humor was there and the chemistry was just right. infatuation set in. this is super, super clumsy writing because ohhh my god, this whole movie becomes a broken record of “ur so DUMB, anna!! you only knew him for a night!!” but in the end Mr. Right is evil, everybody and their mother knew Anna’s true feelings before she did, and SHE STILL ENDED UP WITH SOMEONE SHE’D ONLY KNOWN FOR A COUPLE DAYS. the entire movie was a shame-fest for being crazy for a dude she just met, and then it ended with her hooking up with ANOTHER dude she’d only just met!!
- this movie was really, really sexist. i don’t know why everyone’s calling it so feminist or saying it’s a movie about sisters, because the sisterly stuff probably only took up 15% of the movie, and i can’t even think of anything feminist about it.
- sexism exhibit A) Kristoff berates her and judges her, as a stranger, multiple times (so many times i wanted to barf) for wanting to marry someone she’d just met. is marrying someone you’ve just met a good idea? no, of course not. who’s business is that, though? a planned love interest, i guess. it sent this message over and over that men are the rational ones, and any man who would agree to a marriage like that is up to something (bc men aren’t that irrational of course)
- sexism exhibit B) Anna couldn’t do shit on her own, and it was played for laughs. silly Anna. you think you’re so capable but ha ha ha you’re not. you need a man to save you, or shit, just a snowman will do.
- sexism exhibit C) remember the “girls have to be pretty” comment? because of that, nONE of the female characters showed any believable range of emotions, they were always graceful and pretty and cute. pretty shallow whitewashed eyecandy.
- as far as “sisterly” stuff, it was absolutely the only good part of the movie, but calling it “good” is quite a stretch. enjoyable, maybe. worth watching? ehhh. when Anna’s trapped by Hans and he divulges his villainous plan to kill her sister, what does she do when a snowman somehow accidentally picks the right lock on the right door and stumbles upon her weak little body? she starts thinkin’ bout BOYZ. not her sister who’s about to die. naaah, ~~*~*~*~love!~*~*~~*~~
- enter a love life lecture from a fucking snowman who’s only been alive for barely a day. “true luv is like, hmmm, like when kristoff brought you here to hans and left forever, omg, kristoff is so great. thats tru luv, anna. i know you had a whole song and dance number DRILLING IT INTO YOUR BRAIN that you should marry and adore this dorky meathead, but i thought i should remind you. kristoff. omg there he is!! somehow he knew to come back!!”
- ANNA’S FEELINGS DON’T EVEN MATTER. like, i don’t even know who Anna is after she jumps around her castle, bored out of her mind, and then stumbles out into the narrative. there’s no focus on Anna as a person, only her love life and trying to get Elsa to come home and knock off that wintery wiz biz. but her feelings? her thoughts, the way things have changed her? is she even lonely without her sister? is there anything more to her than being easy to laugh at and banter? did anyone even think about that, or was this just some kind of “meh, this first draft is good enough” movie?
- Elsa, to a lesser extent but not enough to matter, is in the same boat. where did her powers come from? how did she get chased out of her home, her kingdom, her castle, by her people, away from her SISTER and whats left of her broken family… end up at a mountain in like 20 mins (can she fly?? Anna ran out in her ball gown and it took her forever to even get close to the mountains on horseback) and then go “fuck it! hahahaha!” and build a castle in glee. where did that come from? she didn’t get any time to reflect, on screen, what just happened, and overcome it. it was literally just “aahhh! fuck fuck fuck damn it oh no” to “lmao im so fucking hot i love me” ??????
- the whole ending with the “omg do i kiss this boy who everyone TELLS me is my tru luv or do i save my sis?? omg im dying!! which one!!” was sooooooooooooooo weak. like, that could have been so much better. and it doesn’t even really matter it all ended on a “sisters4lyf” note because it was all so contrived and jerked into place to get there, it didn’t feel natural and just came outta nowhere. why was it even a QUESTION to kiss kristoff?? if this was such a sisterly movie, shouldn’t Anna have CARED more about her sister? ran off to save her as soon as olaf opened that door? ran over to save her when she saw Hans ready to chop her in two?? that’s the problem- this whole story was so poorly written without any heart or soul or thought to the characters, it doesn’t even resonate or make sense. the characters are flat, boring, and mostly pretty. there was such an emphasis on style and beauty and rendering that they completely overlooked the actual substance to any animated film- the story. the way it unfolds, the way the characters change. it was all forced together so brutally it was just a complete, awkward mess. the villain was forced, the love was forced, the change was forced, and even the narrative itself was force feeding the audience and telling, not showing, them what to think. that’s lazy. thats piss poor writing. even the songs were pretty weak.
and that’s all i have to say about it.
if you liked it- whatever. if there are things in the movie you liked well enough to find it tolerable- whatever. but don’t lie to yourself and say this is some fantastic game changing movie, “disney’s best” since whenever, because all you’re doing is letting disney set it’s own standard based on brand and not product, and that’s a shame. if you expect more, you’ll get more. if you don’t expect anything and you’re ready to gobble up any movie they shit out, soon enough their laziness will get to a point where you’re not even enjoying it anymore, and you’re disappointed.
but crappy writing and characterization aside- THIS MOVIE WAS RACIST. deal with it. it was racist as fuck and that’s actually the most important thing to realize here. expect more from the story, sure, but DEMAND disney to stop appropriating cultures with their own sloppy takes on them. finally come to terms with the fact disney is racist, and stop coddling and sucking up to a fucking industry giant (that doesnt need any of that, seriously, they’re worth billions of fucking dollars and can fund anything they want) and start giving a shit about how DAMAGING disney can be. kid’s movies? yeah, where do you think all these problems start? don’t you think a corporation whose demographic is young children should, uh, TRY a little harder to not spread racism and sexism? so many of you think that movies directed toward children should be taken less seriously and be held to a lower standard, but i think that’s fucking horrible and disgusting. if anything, disney (and any studio that produces content for young people) should be NITPICKED TO THE BONES. criticized for every frame, every word, every message it sends. kids absorb this shit. little girls need to see body diversity. poc NEED to see themselves represented.
kids notice this shit and disney is held in such a high regard, they trust it without question. why the fuck wouldn’t we tear it apart, inch for inch? why wouldn’t we expect excellence, if we’re going to hold disney above all the rest?
(my theory is emotional manipulation, using your childhood memories and fondness for animated films to manipulate a market- generations of people fond of disney, they pass it down to their children and siblings, this sort of brand loyalty that makes people FUCKING INCREDIBLY prone to accepting anything disney makes. this is why Frozen infuriates me, and it’s a goddamn shame everyone takes this kind of junk without question. c’mon. disney is a business, not some wise old geezer telling you bedtime stories. they keep their princesses pretty and white to sell you merch you’ll buy. they toss in a few poc films, skew the facts beyond recognition to uphold whiteness, so you think they’re inclusive and poc can’t complain. give me a fucking break.)
so i’m pretty sure all my followers and their brother know how much i detest the character designs/entire concept i’ve seen of frozen and i decided to finally stop bitching about it and actually throw my own designs out there!
i think a kazakh/central asian-ish setting would’ve been really cool! and i like the idea of the heroine having an older brother
zuko scar and missing arm includedshe has to rescue!! and i think i would’ve stuck more closely to the original story with mostly female characters helping her through her adventure?? but i didn’t come up with designs for them (the robber girl and and i think there’s a princess and a prince in the story that help her?)
anyway yeah omg long descrip i’m sorry ( ﾟ,_ゝﾟ) poc princess initiative is my life force
Frozen Inuit princesses redesigns. <3
I think it would have been really awesome if they did something like this instead. Either way, it was really fun to gather reference and draw some snowy cuties.
/hawk screech of approval
Racebent Anna and Prince Hans. I don’t ship it, ok, FTR ;). This is for Alex, who requested I fulfilll her heterosexual ships ;)
(Hans is probly like ‘u know i’ll betray u again right?’ and Anna is all like ‘u know my sister would freeze ur ass if u do that right?”. And then they go on and have a relationship where they constantly keep on guard against each other, but are also ~strangely fond~ of each other. Did I mention I do not ship it :P)
(Hans is probly like ‘u know i’ll betray u again right?’ and Anna is all like ‘u know my sister would freeze ur ass if u do that right?”. And then they go on and have a relationship where they constantly keep on guard against each other, but are also ~strangely fond~ of each other.
Wait, you just made me ship it. *suspicious stare* And that is 1000000000 times better than what went down in the movie.
all the racists in my askbox tbh
An apocalyptic event wipes out much of humanity? Realistic. A high fantasy setting with magic and fantastical creatures? Doable. A futuristic setting with advanced technology, galaxy-spanning empires and alien races? To be expected! Brown people? Wow thats kind of
I would laugh harder if it wasn’t depressingly true
This is actually a great question and I apologize it has been sitting in my ask for awhile! Cultural exchange and cultural appropriation are completely different things that are often confused with each other (the latter being bad). So in order to explain this thoroughly I going to personalize my examples with things that are true about me:
1.) I am Mexican
2.) I really love Russian culture
Now let’s say you Anon are Russian and you really like Mexican culture (and I wouldn’t blame you, we got the best food it is known). So let’s say we meet and we become friends.
Let’s say you love Mexican food (the finest type of food imho) and I tell you where you can get really good tamales around town and bring you some of my abuelita’s tamales when I go visit you. In response you invite me over to have your mom’s homemade milk soup. We just exchanged our culture’s food.
Let’s say you go visit Russia and bring me back the most adorable matryoshka doll. In response when I go visit Mexico, I bring you back beautiful artesanias and other recuerditos. We just exchanged some of our culture’s items.
Let’s say I invite to my family’s posada and break a piñata and have pozole. In response you invite on January 7th to celebrate your Christmas and go to church. We just exchanged traditions of our culture.
All these examples are cultural exchange. We are sharing our food, items, and traditions in an open and friendly environment. We are not taking anything from each other, we are appreciating our cultures together and celebrating the uniqueness of them.
Now let’s see the other end of the scale, what is called cultural appropriation.
Let’s say you really like my abuelita’s tamales and attempt to make your own version of them. Not only do you redo the entire recipe to the point where you butcher my family’s classic meal, but you start your own business selling tamales. Your business takes off and you hire Mexican cooks ironically as you sell what you call “tamales”. You are making profit on a food of a culture that is not yours, exploiting the same people the original food came from. That is cultural appropriation.
Let’s say your friends at school liked the artesanias I brought you from Mexico and they want some of their own to wear. Instead of asking me where I bought them or who sells them, you decide to make your own and make money from your friends. Everyone at your school starts wearing the items you make, while you make profit on the work of real artesanas who make a living on those items. You are re-taking an object that has value and meaning and demoting it to a simple commercial accessories for personal gain. That is cultural appropriation.
Let’s say you really like my posada and attempt to make your own. You hire your own mariachi, piñatas, and make your own version of ‘pozole’. You friends come and enjoy the party and decide to make their own versions of the party. Soon posadas become a fad and are popular until they are sold as party items in your local Party City. You have just taken a personal tradition of my culture and reduced to a mere ‘party’, striping away its original meaning. That is cultural appropriation.
Notice on how unlike my first examples of cultural exchange something is missing from this set of examples, that thing is me. I am missing from every single event. This is relevant because you are partaking in my culture without my having an open dialogue with me. And in so you are isolating me from my own culture. Cultural appropriation excludes me from my culture and places you in control of it.
The thing is most people get wrong about culture is the definition of it.
Culture: the beliefs, way of life, art, and customs that are shared and accepted by people in a particular society.
PEOPLE. Culture is not simply items, foods and/or traditions, it is people. The essence of a group of people. This is why we have to be careful when approaching cultures, we are not dealing with just items or beliefs, we are dealing with people.
Most people who consider themselves “fans” of cultures (big exm: weeaboos and their ‘love’ for Japan) will more than often take away the people factor from their ‘cultural appreciation’. Sometimes reducing the same people whose culture they love into mere objects.
It’s not wrong to be interested in a culture or like a particular culture, we just need to remind ourselves that culture also denotes people and we should include the people as we appreciate the culture. In my personal example, it is one thing to say I like Russian language, kokoshniks, and Russian history. It is completely another thing to go up to a Russian person and tell them “you’re doing your culture wrong!! why isn’t it as pretty as in books wahhh” We have to constantly remind ourselves that cultures are not made up things in our history or sociology books but breathing, real, tangible things that are associated with groups of people.
Culture is people. And we should always be sensitive about that.
Hope this helps!
I saw some really cool AU elsa and I wanted to make my own so I did *_*
ive been listening to the korean version of ’let it go’ all day long and so i was like man how cool would it be if frozen took place in korea and thats how this sloppy ass sketch came to be
actual shingeki no kyojin chapter 52
but really tho
this shit is intense as fuck
The second one tho
The Last of Us: Left Behind - Concept Art
never forget that australias first ever winter olympics gold was won because the guy was coming dead last and everyone in front of him fell over
A NATIONAL HERO
and everyone was complaining that he didn’t really deserve the medal because he wasn’t good enough to be in the lead until everyone else stuffed up, so basically the entire country of Australia yelled “WELL HE WAS FUCKING GOOD ENOUGH TO NOT FUCKING FALL OVER LIKE YOUR DUMBASS ATHLETES” in unison and it was a beautiful bonding moment for our nation
and this is how australia shows the rest of the world how to win. and it is amazing.